Thursday 7 June 2012

Artist Blogs

I wanted to write a post about artist blogs. There are a lot of them out there! The ones I find most interesting are those that chart the journey of the artist, and write about their interests, shows they've seen, their developing practice and general commentary on the art world in general. 


These are some of my favourites: 


Cathy Lomax


(From the series, Mock Tudor, 2011)




The artist Cathy Lomax has been keeping her blog since early 2003, and it charts her trajectory as director of Transition gallery, as well as reviews of films and exhibitions, and also her own practice. It is interesting to see a blog that has been in existence for such a long time, especially as it was begun fairly soon after she graduated from her MA, and thus displays the journey she has made as an artist in the decade since. I cannot imagine how my practice will have developed in ten years time. It would be wonderful if I was still keeping a blog then though! 




Corinna Spencer


(Vampire, 2011, oil on paper)






Corinna Spencer's blog is very thorough and updated on a regular basis. The blog discusses her practice, but she also posts reviews of shows and press releases. I can imagine that the artist invests a good amount of time in the site, as it is thoughtfully illustrated and written. Definitely worth checking out, especially for those artists who believe in the power of social media sites.




Rebecca Harris


(Live, 2011)





Another example of a regularly updated blog. Rebecca Harris is an MA student at The University of Plymouth, and I find the blog interesting as she is an emerging artist like me! The blog mixes good quality illustrations of her work, alongside discussion of her practice. Many artist blogs appear to just to post images of art work (which my old blog used to do) rather than to give any insight or discussion on the work itself, which I think is a bit dull. Rebecca Harris includes both on her blog. I believe that she will find it extremely useful to look back on her posts when writing her dissertation. I wish I'd written one throughout my MA!




Sarah Maple
(An Artist and Female Artist, 2012)


Sarah Maple is young artist whose work explores what is is to be an attractive woman who is also a Muslim. and has been called 'The heir to Tracey Emin's throne' by The Independent on Sunday after winning '4 New Sensations' run by Charles Saatchi in 2007.  She has kept her blog since 2008, and updates it fairly regularly. Her blog not charts her progress as an artist, but also discusses other issues of interest to her, such as 'The Objectification of Take That' or the manner make up adverts try and make women see themselves as sex objects. Her blog is at once informative and funny and a glimpse into the career of a young successful artist. 





No comments:

Post a Comment